Marianne Williamson is a bestselling author (Return to Love, Healing the Soul of America), a world-renowned teacher, and one of the most important inspirational thinkers of our time. In The Law of Divine Compensation, she reveals the spiritual principles that help us overcome.
Williamson has been a teacher of The Course in Miracles (“a self-study program of psychotherapy based on universal spiritual themes”) for 35 years. She has watched it work wonders in people’s lives as they “change the nature of thinking from fear and limitation to faith and love.”
The author sees a great need for the spiritual themes of The Course in Miracles as she hears about peoples’ fears in these times of economic uncertainty about unemployment, the dangers of investments, the waning of the economy, the debt crisis, house foreclosures, and the widespread anxiety over having enough money to make it through older age.
This book is a great read—easy to get through and filled with both lovely anecdotes about Williamson’s own experiences and practical stories about her clients’ lives. She breaks down the process of evaluating and developing your own abundance in the following steps:
- Align yourself with love. As you start to understand the Law of Divine Compensation, it is revealed that the universe is set up to work in your favor. As you accept love into your life, you have more access to infinite possibilities from the universe. Williamson writes, “The thinking of the world is simply upside down, with the naturalness of love feeling almost unnatural at times and the unnaturalness of fear feeling natural.” This was a mind blowing moment for me.
- Embrace your faith of the positive. As we all know, our thoughts are incredibly powerful and shape our reality. Whether you are religious or not, your faith can activate or deactivate the Law of Divine Compensation. If we have faith in love and positivity, we activate our abundance and set in motion activities to support our goals.
- Transform your negative sense of self. Have the courage to dig deep and consistently acknowledge and reveal the fears and scripts that you may have been buying into. Fears are limiting and deactivate the Law of Divine Compensation, and painful thoughts that we have arise from over-identifying with the material plane. Be aware that negative thoughts can come from 1) a negative sense of self, 2) anger, and 3) guilt.
- Continue to release anger and see beyond guilt. Anger can be a powerful and helpful emotion, but often our anger is misguided and simply a projection of our own fears and resentments for people and triggers around us. Find the freedom to forgive yourself and others—by forgiving, we do not grant victory to those who wronged us; instead, we surrender the aspect of mind that is blocking divine correction.
- Practice shifting your thoughts and actions from fear to love. This is an incredibly important step, and where I really feel the “meat” of the work comes in. You can be aware of your current state and set your intentions until you’re blue in the face. The real action comes when you are triggered and become aware of the fear and then consciously choose to acknowledge, heal, and persist on. Even if it happens in a split second, it’s still incredibly powerful. I’ve been using The Tapping Solution to help process these feelings in the moment. They even have a specific financial webinar to help accelerate the process and activate your abundance.
- It’s never too late. Any miracle you might have deflected is “held in trust for you until you are ready to receive it.” The universe has an inbuilt insurance policy.
- Remain positive. Williamson writes that there are four rules for miraculous work creation: Be positive. Send Love. Have fun. Kick ass. This is by far my favorite takeaway from the book, and I’ve been using it as a mantra ever since.
The Law of Divine Compensation applies equally to all situations, but in this book we will focus on its application to money and the lack thereof. In a time of economic uncertainty—when circumstances make it particularly tempting to believe in the scarcity of the material plane over the abundance of the spiritual—our capacity to think differently is the miracle-worker’s edge. Bills stare you in the face. Foreclosure looms. Credit is wrecked. Jobs aren’t available. And with all that comes chaos on many fronts. Who doesn’t need a miracle then?
If you identify only with your body and its reality, rather than with your spirit and its reality, then you’re tempted to think that diminished material assets somehow diminish who you are. But you are not merely a being of the material world; you are a being of unlimited spirit. And in spirit there is no lack. You are not lacking just because your circumstances are.
If your core belief is “I lack” and you carry that belief with you, then you will subconsciously perpetuate or create the circumstances that reflect the belief. But your circumstances are completely malleable: they simply reflect the dictates of your mind. Regardless of what limits exist in your material world, your immutable truth is that you are an unlimited spiritual being. By remembering this, you summon the Law of Divine Compensation. You are a loving idea in the Mind of God. Circumstances should not and need not tempt you to believe otherwise. The universe showers you with love not because of what you have done or not done, but because of who you are. Think of the universe itself as a personal love note from God to you. God is love, and in sharing His love you share His power. By aligning yourself with thoughts of infinite love for yourself and others, you gain dominion over the lower thought forms of the world.
Mistakes and wrong turns need not throw us off. The capacity for correction is built into the universe, just as it is into the workings of a GPS. If you’ve programmed an address into your GPS but then take a different turn than it recommends, the GPS automatically creates a new route. And so does the universe. Perhaps you thought you’d get to where you wanted to be financially through achieving a certain credential, doing a particular job, or making a particular investment. But then something happened: the economy worsened, you made a mistake, or someone else did. The Law of Divine Compensation gives us the assurance that the universe will simply create a new route. What is lacking shall become abundant, and what is wounded shall be healed. From “out of the blue”—or miracle-mindedness—miracles will flow forth naturally. Why? Because perfection is your eternal home, to which the universe is programmed to return you whenever you have deviated, for whatever reason, from the thoughts that get and keep you there. That is how loved you are.